When I was pregnant with my second daughter last year, one of my focuses was finding ways to promote breastfeeding for a longer period of time. I wanted to be more prepared this time than with my first daughter, who I only breastfed for five weeks. One of the many things that made breastfeeding so difficult for me the first time was that I thought it would automatically be natural, easy, and comfortable. As many nursing moms know, the reality can be quite different. Preparation and the right equipment can help.
I breastfed my second daughter for longer and I think one of the keys to my success was equipping myself with the right nursing pillows so that we could both be comfortable for those early feeding sessions that are so lengthy and frequent.
I had two breastfeeding pillows I really liked. For convenience, I kept them in the two spots on different levels of my house where I regularly fed so that I always had my comfortable setup readily available. It helped ease the stress that came along with early breastfeeding.
What to Look For in a Nursing Pillow
When shopping for a nursing pillow, you’ll want to keep in mind:
- Versatility: Are you looking for an option that is purely for feeding or a pillow with other uses for maternity or as the baby grows?
- Shape: Would you prefer a wraparound design for support, a C-shaped design for other uses, an extra-large surface, or something small and portable?
- Aesthetics: Would you prefer something with a more minimal and chic design to blend into your home or something with a fun pattern?
Read on for some of our favorite nursing pillow picks!
Best Overall Nursing Pillows
The two pillows that I used and enjoyed are also recommended by Beth Buchholtz, RN, IBCLC from Naturally Nourished Lactation Services: the Boppy and My Brest Friend. These pillows are also recommended by other parenting sites and are highly rated on Amazon, BuyBuyBaby, and Target. It’s hard to go wrong if you choose one of these classics.
According to Buchholtz, the My Brest Friend is her choice for newborns because it helps support both the baby and mother while helping the baby stay close.
- Wraparound design provides more comfort and stability while breastfeeding and includes a back support
- Can easily store your supplies at point-of-use with the attached pocket
I’ve had the Boppy since my first daughter was born in 2014, and I still happily used it when breastfeeding this past year.
- Extremely versatile product—can also be used to prop baby up for sitting as they get older
- Provides adaptability for multiple nursing positions
- Cover is easy to wash and slide back onto the pillow
- Plenty of pattern options to fit your style
A slightly less expensive dupe of The Boppy.
- Provides the same versatility and easy washability as the Boppy
- Many fun patterns available for pillow covers
Organic Nursing Pillows
- Aesthetically pleasing, minimalist design made with organic materials
- Still looks chic when left on the couch or used for sitting support!
- Design is stiffer with narrow ends, providing a different type of comfort that some mothers prefer
Versatile Nursing Pillows
- Also functions as a comfortable maternity pillow
- Soft and plush with an extra-large surface
- Unique design slides on arm instead of around the waist and can provide more comfort for C-section moms
- Smaller size makes it very portable
- Flexible design that you can position as a body pillow or wrap around as a nursing pillow
- Designed to be breathable, hypoallergenic, and lightweight
Best Nursing Pillows for Twins
Has all of the supportive benefits for newborns that the original pillow has but designed for twins.
A versatile pillow for bottle feeding, tummy time, and sitting.
Travel Nursing Pillows
- Fold-over closure means no uncomfortable zippers or velcro
- 20-inch size is convenient for on-the-go breastfeeding
- 15-inch size is perfect for travel
- Stretch belt helps secure pillow in place