This post was in partnership with Lurie Children’s Hospital of Chicago, but all of the opinions within are those of The Everymom editorial board.
In the hustle and bustle of the holiday season, we have a million and one things on our plates taking up our attention: buying presents, planning and attending parties, visiting family and friends, and so much more. But amidst the chaos, it’s important to remember to prioritize the opportunity to teach our children what this season is truly all about, the gift of giving. As parents, we want to instill compassion and empathy for others in our little ones, and one extraordinary and accessible way to achieve this goal is through fundraising for those in need. In collaboration with our awesome, long-time partners at Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children’s Hospital of Chicago, we’re here to guide you through the simple steps you can take to give back by creating a fundraiser of your very own.
Right in the heart of Chicago, Lurie Children’s has been a beacon of hope and healing for years. Their unwavering commitment to providing exceptional pediatric care is matched only by their dedication to the community they serve. Lurie Children’s is more than a medical institution; it’s a lifeline for countless families in Chicago, with their services extending far beyond medical treatment alone, as they also encompass emotional support, groundbreaking research, and more. As a nonprofit medical center, they rely heavily on public donations to fulfill their mission, making your involvement in this fundraising campaign all the more vital.
By actively participating in philanthropic fundraising, children can develop a deeper understanding of the needs and challenges faced by others in their communities, shaping them into empathetic individuals with a strong awareness of the world around them. While fundraising may seem a bit overwhelming and confusing at times, Lurie Children’s Foundation is here to make the process accessible and user-friendly with their online fundraiser builder, an innovative tool that ensures your focus remains on the joy of giving rather than the logistics of organizing. So, here’s how to get both you and your little ones involved with such an important cause in three easy steps.
Plan your fundraiser
The first step to making a difference is deciding how exactly you’d like to raise your funds. Lurie Children’s Foundation has thankfully curated a resource page with tons of great ideas tailored for both digital and in-person fundraising events. Here are just a few unique ways to make your fundraiser not only successful but also an unforgettable experience for your family and supporters regardless of whether it’s face-to-face or online:
Digital Fundraising Ideas:
- Virtual Game Night: Host an online game night where participants can contribute a donation to join. Choose from a variety of games that suit different age groups and encourage friendly competition—all while raising funds for a great cause.
- Streaming for a Cause: For tech-savvy families, consider hosting a live-streaming event. Whether it’s showcasing a talent, putting on a cooking show kitchen, or sharing your favorite workout routine, the audience can contribute in real-time, adding an interactive element to your fundraising efforts.
- Digital Art Auction: Encourage creativity by organizing a digital art auction. Children can create digital artwork, and supporters can bid on their favorites. It not only showcases young talent but also adds a personal touch to your fundraising campaign.
In-Person Fundraising Ideas:
- Neighborhood Car Parade: Bring joy to your community by organizing a festive car parade. Decorate your vehicles, play holiday tunes, and drive through your neighborhood, collecting donations from well-wishers along the way.
- Bake Sale: Host a classic bake sale with a twist. Set up some homemade treats in your front yard or a local community space. People can stop by, make a donation, and enjoy delicious treats.
- Holiday Craft Fair: Coordinate a community craft fair where families can showcase and sell their handmade crafts. It’s a really sweet way to bring people together and celebrate creativity!
Remember that the key is to choose activities that resonate with your family’s interests and the preferences of your community! Visit this resource page to explore even more fun ideas and create an experience that will create lasting memories for you, your family, and the children cared for at Lurie Children’s.
Set up your fundraising page
Once your family has picked your preferred fundraising method, you can set it up online with Lurie Children’s intuitive Fundraise Builder, which is designed to guide you through the setup process by creating a personalized fundraiser. Through their Fundraise Builder, you’ll create a profile with information about you, your fundraising goals, and details about your campaign. After registering, Lurie Children’s will provide you with a landing page that people can easily access and donate. From that point forward, it’s a super straightforward process created to enhance your fundraising experience: You can explore tips on crafting compelling narratives, learn how to engage your network effectively, and discover creative ideas to elevate your fundraising efforts through their community fundraising page.
Whether you’re planning a virtual game night, a neighborhood caroling event, or a virtual bake sale, the Fundraise Builder ensures that the setup process aligns with your vision for a memorable and impactful fundraiser. Click here to get started with your fundraiser that not only resonates with your family but also leaves a lasting mark on the lives of the children and families at Lurie Children’s.
With your fundraiser planned and ready to go, it’s time to spread the word in order to maximize your impact. Talk about your fundraiser through social media, to your family and friends, or to the educators and parents at your child’s school. If you’ve decided to plan an in-person event, create an event on Instagram and Facebook that people can easily RSVP to and include the link to your fundraising page. The goal is to do whatever you can to get the word out there and get everyone excited to raise money for an important cause—the more the merrier!
Remember: Not only will you be helping children and families that truly need and deserve it this holiday season, but you will also be teaching your own little ones an invaluable lesson on giving back. Head to Lurie Children’s Community Fundraising site now and start building your fundraiser today to make this holiday season one filled with love, generosity, and fun.
This post was in partnership with Lurie Children’s Foundation of Chicago, but all of the opinions within are those of The Everymom editorial board.