About three or four years ago now, I did something absolutely crazy for the time: I bought a pair of jeans that were—wait for it—not skinny. There was a real revolution happening. Gone were the days of “I won’t be caught dead in any type of non-skinny jeans” and in were the days of mom jeans, boyfriend jeans, vintage-fit, and old Levi’s styles back with a vengeance. All of these types of jeans can pretty much be looped into one category: the all-powerful straight-leg jean.
For a while, I was always going back and forth between my trusty ol’ skinnies and my newly-loved straight-leg jeans, but now I can pretty much say that every pair of jeans in my denim collection is straight-leg, and they’re the only ones I reach for (especially in today’s stay-at-home times).
Straight-leg jeans are not only versatile and easy to wear, but they’re also (most importantly) super comfortable! If you’ve been wanting to make the switch from skinny to straight-leg but aren’t quite sure how to style them, look no further.
Here are five easy and mom-approved ways to style the trending straight-leg jean.
1. The Light-Wash: with a tank, long cardigan & sneakers
2. The Distressed: with an oversized sweater, leopard mules & headband
jeans / sweater / mules (similar) / headband / bag (similar)
3. The Medium Wash: with a graphic tee, plaid blazer & booties
4. The Dark Wash: with a puff-sleeve sweater top, statement earrings & mules
5. The Classic Black: with a chic hoodie, gold hoops & snakeskin sneakers
This article was originally published on September 18, 2020 and has been updated for timeliness.