While movies often depict pregnancy as a magical moment where pregnant people are glowing and graceful, it often is a much more cumbersome reality when your bump starts making it difficult to sleep. From night sweats to leg cramps to feeling like a turtle stuck on their back, many pregnant moms will be more comfortable with a pregnancy pillow to help get back some much-needed sleep.
When I first became pregnant, I scoffed at the idea of purchasing a $70-something pillow that seemed to be just a glorified body pillow. But as my pregnancy progressed and I started waddling around, I changed my mind. My bump made it impossible to sleep without half a dozen pillows stacked around my growing body at night, so I eventually made the splurge.
With all the options available to us at a few swipes on our phone, how can we possibly decide which one to splurge on? To help, we’ve listed the highlights of each pregnancy pillow to help make this life-improving purchase a little easier for my fellow mamas.
Best Budget-Friendly Pregnancy Pillow
- U-Shaped: This pregnancy pillow supports your hips, back, knees, neck, and head.
- Detachable Extension: Provides more customizable support and can be used as a separate rectangle body pillow.
- Versatile: Whether you are sleeping, watching television, or just sitting down with a snack, this pillow can be used in many ways during pregnancy and after.
- Washable: This pillow has a removable cover that makes cleaning a breeze, especially with hormone fluctuations causing night sweats.
Best Versatile Pregnancy Pillow
- Unique Shape: The contoured design supports your head, neck, back, hips, and tummy.
- Compact: While some pregnancy pillows take up a lot of space, this one is big enough to get the job done but not so big that it’s difficult to move around the house.
- Machine washable: 80% polyester/20% cotton cover is machine washable.
Best C-Shaped Pregnancy Pillow
- Designed by a Nurse: The Snoogle was designed by a mom and registered nurse to support the natural contour of your body from head to toe.
- Soft: With a jersey cover, this pillow is comfortable enough to sleep with on warm days.
- Zippered Cover: Makes taking off the cover and washing the pillow a breeze.
Best Full-Body Pregnancy Pillow
- Hourglass Shape: Inner shape is curved to provide snug support.
- Built-in Pillow Pocket: You can tuck in your standard pillow to give extra support.
- Washable: The cover is machine washable and dryer safe.
Best Minimalist Pregnancy Pillow
- Doctor-Designed: This pillow was created by an OB-GYN to keep you securely in place to allow for optimal blood flow and oxygen for your baby.
- Easy to Use: Compact shape makes it easy to use every night.
- Ideal for Travel: The pillow’s small size is perfect for moms who travel.
- Fully Adjustable: Provides comfort during any stage of pregnancy and for pregnant moms of all sizes.
Best Designer Pregnancy Pillow
- Specific Design: Designed by chiropractors.
- TOXPROOF Certified: Inner pillows are filled with TOXPROOF-certified and food-grade polystyrene beads that are odor-free and antibacterial.
- Customizable: Comes in a range of colors.
- Machine Washable: Cover is machine washable.
Best Pregnancy Pillow for Tall People
- Full-Body Design: This 65-inch-long pillow is perfect for taller pregnant women.
- Versatile: Comfortable for sleeping, relaxing, and breastfeeding.
- Cooling Cover: The cooling outer cover is made from 100% cotton and is machine washable.
Best Pregnancy Pillow for Cuddling
- Compact Design: This compact cuddle pillow provides support for your bump and allows room to snuggle with co-sleeping children or partner.
- Multipurpose: Great for sleeping and relaxing.
- Comfortable: Made with washable, soft bamboo slipcover.
Best Pregnancy Pillow for Hot Sleepers
- Versatile: This pillow can be twisted, bent, and squished into C, I, L and U shapes.
- Breathable Material: Micro-bead filling allows heat to pass right through.
- Compact: Easy to store or squish and pack for travel.
Best Inflatable Pregnancy Pillow
- Fits All Bellies: This cozy bump pillow can be flipped to fit your larger or smaller belly size.
- Inflatable: While many pregnancy pillows take up a lot of room, this pillow can be deflated when not in use or between pregnancies.
- Versatility: This pillow can be used at the beach, pool, or living room and has been weight tested up to 300 pounds for 24 hours.
- Intentional Design: Created by a husband-and-wife team who developed the pillow after the wife, Kathleen, experienced lower-back pain during pregnancy.